2/13/13

Lent: The Shunning of Deliciousness...

Yesterday I did a post about why I'm participating in Lent this year when I never have before, and I don't really agree with the religious reasons behind it. Anyways if you want to hear all about it you'll have to go and read about it in Yesterdays Post.

I said I would think long and hard about what exactly I was going to give up knowing all along I would make a snap decision as I typed up this post. Guess what? I actually thought about it!! It's a first for me when it comes to my health. I actually weighed the pros and cons of everything. I must be ready to do this thing! I just know it, otherwise why would I actually think about it, right? Anyways I thought about it last night as I redecorated the blog. What do ya think? I'm liking the grey... That's another story though..

Back to the whole Lent decision.  I decided on carbs. Having decided that I wasn't sure if I wanted to go broad and give up carbs as a whole or if I wanted to pick a carb and shun it for forty days. I thought about which one would benefit me the most and the probability that I'd not fail so I decided to give up a specific carb.  I was afraid if I went broad and gave up all carbs I was just setting myself up for failure. This is my first serious foray into becoming healthy. I don't need to set myself up for failure. I just need to master this forty days and then I can reevaluate the situation and see where I need to go from there. So for Lent I am giving up pasta. You probably think well that's not really much to give up.. Well let me tell you what. Me giving up pasta is like Hugh Hefner giving up Playboy Bunnies. Pasta is the main go to dish I make. It is the meal I order 95% of time we go out to eat. I have a very unhealthy relationship (code for obsession) with pasta. So I'm going to give it up. By giving up pasta I will virtually be giving almost all the carbs I eat. I don't eat very much bread, and because I don't I will be adding on to my pasta shunning bread and salad croutons (another obsession).

In addition to pasta & the breads I will be trying so very hard to make sure that what I do eat is a much more healthier than it has been thus far in my life. I love salads, I just need to eat more of them and more lean meats. I don't eat very many sweets as my tummy doesn't like the sugar but I do occasionally fall and have a junk food crisis from time to time. I don't drink much soda (my kidneys do NOT like it) so I will try to not drink it, but I do I won't cry about failing and just give up. I will just stop at the one and start new.

I have to be honest with you and tell you that I'm only half way through my first day of no pasta and I want to panic. Of course I'm craving it. Of course my cupboards are full of it. Yes I will still be making for the rest of the family. But to be honest though.. the thought of dying from something related to, or caused by, my weight scares me more. I've never been a skinny person naturally. I've always had curves. I never have and nor do I want to be a hard body. I like my softness, and so does the Sailor, I just want less of it. When I turned 21 and discovered alcohol & dance clubs I dropped weight at an alarming rate. I became so skinny that I couldn't find jeans small enough that would still button around my protruding hip bones. Mind you this was 14 years ago and there were no low riding jeans. I was 140 lbs. I know doesn't sound very skinny, but for me it was very skinny. Anyways, I drank and dance and drank and drank and danced until I was very unhealthy. I changed somethings in my life (code for kicked the ex-boyfriend to the curb) and I gained about 20 pounds which put me on the skinny side of a healthy weight. I met the Sailor and we eloped to Vegas (←link takes you to the wedding photo post).  This was before I started to shrink in height so I was closer to 5'9" where as I'm only about 5'7" now. Anyways I was 164 lbs when we were married 13 years ago. I quit work to move to California and in the first 3 months there I gained 20 more pounds due to not working and enjoying life.  So that put me up around 180-185 lbs. I'm cool with that now, not so much then. I wasn't panicking because when I graduated I was 190 lbs. Then I became pregnant with our first child. Well there went the end of all that. I gained a normal amount of weight but that put me up above 200 lbs. Lets just say that after 2 more babies (3 total) and 8 years as the self proclaimed laziest housewife ever. I ballooned up to 263 lbs. Thankfully I carry my weight well. Even at such a great weight my body is still proportioned pretty evenly. A little rounder in the middle than when I was younger due to 3 pregnancies.

About this time last year I lost about 25 lbs., and have since gained most of it back. Today I weighed 255 pounds. Even thought it's been the norm for way too long and the Sailor still finds me sexy, it's completely unacceptable. If I didn't know me and I saw me naked... I would not think I was physically sexy. It's just that simple. I know my body will never be perfect. Hell I don't want it to be. I will forever carry the scars of my obesity, but I'm okay with that because they will be the reminders of what I can NOT allow myself to be.  

I'm not super religious like I said in yesterdays post, so I'm going to use Lent as my kick starter to getting myself healthy again. I have to do something and Lent was starting in just two days so I thought why not? So here I am on a public website not only telling the world my real age (35 if you didn't do the math earlier) but telling my real weight. How low does a lady have to sink to be at the point of admitting to the world her true age and weight? Pretty low I tell ya. I'm not as low as a person can go, but I don't want to hit rock bottom and have the doctors telling me to lose weight or die either. I will always be in some sort of physical pain due to other issues not related to my weight but the weight has done nothing but make the pain worse. I'm hoping with losing weight not only will I be healthier but the pain will be more manageable.

Now that I've spilled my guts about myself and just put it all out there. Lets hear from those of you who are participating in Lent or those of you who are making a change in your life. What are you giving up for Lent and why? or What are you changing about your life and why? I truly am interested. Even if it's something simple as cutting back to buying only one new pair of shoes a month or your planning to grow your own vegetables this year. Let me know! I'm nosy like that!

Be Happy, Live Happy

CoreyJo





10 comments:

  1. I logged on to post about what I'm giving up for Lent and saw yours. I'm giving up my can of Coke and I'm going to workout everyday for the 40 days. Good luck and I hope this gives you the jump start you want.

    You are a great writer...I always look forward to reading your blog posts.
    ~Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanessa :)

      Because of my kidneys I was forced to drop my intake of Coke & Iced tea (except for green tea) to practically nothing. It was harder than quitting smoking, but landing myself in the hospital for the weekend when I was 5 months pregnant because of my kidneys woke me up really quick.

      I pray the force to be with you because as delicious as Coke is I fear it's made by the Dark Side.....

      Good Luck
      CoreyJo

      Delete
  2. I will often say I will think something over and decide but truth be known I usually wait to the last minute and make a decision.......lol

    When it comes to food I love most of it and will never give it up........because then I would die......lol Sorry not the point I wanted to make I like food I like everything in moderation (well that is what I tell myself).....lol I guess I could give up seafood that would be easy...........I don't eat seafood.......lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo-Anne

      If you look up procrastination you will see me as the origin of the word. I am the absolute worst! When eating out I will always be the last to order because when the server starts taking orders I still don't know what I want!

      Food is the hardest addiction to break because like you said, to give it up would mean you die. I wish I only liked food in moderation. Sadly I have a love hate obsessive relationship with food. I obsess over it and love to eat it, cook it, smell it, but my body hates me for it because I don't know when to stop. I wanted to say I gave up fish for Lent, because well, that would just be funny and I don't eat fish, only seafood!

      Huggs
      CoreyJo

      Delete
  3. Good for you!! Congratulations in advance; I think the thing I like best about this is the "not giving up" part; that's always something I tell myself so I don't throw my hands up and quit forever. I just asked Karen last night at what point do we settle? At what point do we just accept who we are? She didn't have the answers either. So, I am here with you on this, I also am giving up carbs in general for Lent (grain type). At 5'8 1/2 (yes, the 1/2 is important, lol) I went somewhere around 150-180. I dropped to 145 when I was married. Quickly went to 165 because I had been starving myself. Preg #1 around 200, dropped to 175. Preg #2 around 205, dropped to 170. Quite smoking, oh there adds 30. Life on the run, add 10-25 and I am fluctuating between 217-225. I too had lost 30 about 2 yrs ago, swore that was the last time I would ever be over 200 and here I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Hon! I love you so!

      I don't think we should ever accept who we are unless it's something we can't change. My problem over the years was that when I was skinny I didn't see it. Either I was too drunk or my minds eye still saw the fat girl in the mirror, so as I gained the weight back I didn't realize it until I had nothing to wear. Not even my yoga pants. Even then I guess I chose to ignore it. This last year was an eye opener for me. Watching a loved one basically be told to lose weight or die and then watch them not lose weight really made me think about my own denials. Now I'm going through the worry that my family member might actually die or have a major stroke. I don't want that to be me. It's hard enough watching it happen to someone else when it was preventable. I can no longer deny that if I don't change my ways I will be in the same place as they are only at an earlier age. I have no excuses for my condition. I am 100% responsible for my poor health. I will not settle for who I am right now because I know I can be better than this. I deserve better than this, as do you my friend.

      Good Luck to you.

      Huggs
      CoreyJo

      Delete
  4. I'm so happy for you Momma-i couldn't wait to ready today what you decided on!! I wish you complete success, sending good ju-ju, praying for willpower and strength. May the force be with you doll!! And Happy V-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beth! You're the best! I sure hope the force is strong. 40 days is a long time!! Happy V~Day to you! ♥

      Delete
    2. http://fleurspearls.blogspot.com/2013/03/haiku-monday-311-bloom.html

      Hi, CJ! Haiku Monday chez moi this week. Theme is "bloom". Come and play! Fleur

      Delete
  5. It's been a while and now I'm back, it takes a bit of time to catch up and hey good luck with the rest of lent..... pasta mmmmmmm

    I've not given anything up for lent, other than a few dreams and perhaps alcohol.......or maybe not, I should, but well, hey, I have so few vices these days!

    ReplyDelete

Feed back is one of the best parts of blogging. Please feel free to leave a message and let me know what you think.